Wednesday, December 27, 2017

JAZZ 2017


This mix is less of a best jazz recordings of 2017 and more of a mix of jazz that I enjoyed in 2017.  I don't listen to nearly as much jazz as I do ambient and indie music. But I liked enough releases to come up with an end of the year jazz mix. So here it is.

The year was anchored by two spectacular recordings - Aytche by Joseph Shabason and All This I Do For Glory by Colin Stetson.  I saw Stetson at a small club and was blown away by his sound and technique.  If you get the chance to see him up close definitely go.

There are two albums that I discovered while compiling tracks for my mix, Rhythm of the Rails. Those two are Eternal Stories by Michel Portal & Quator Ebene and Simultonality by Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society. Both excellent recordings.

Another highlight of 2017 was ECM records putting their entire catalog up on Spotify. I listened to nothing by ECM for a few weeks this fall.

This will probably be my last mix for 2017. I've already started on a guest mix for liftedicons.com that will be fun to put together.  Music definitely helped me get through a messed up 2017. Here's to a great 2018.

Cheers!



[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]



T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Joseph Shabason - Aytche(Aytche)
  • 03:40    Vijay Iyer Sextet - Wake(Far From Over)
  • 08:03    Ben Allison - Magic Number(Layers of the City)
  • 14:38    Bjorn Meyer - Provenance(Provenance)
  • 20:30    Quatuor Ebene - City Birds(Eternal Stories)
  • 27:55    Colin Stetson - Spindrift(All This I Do For Glory)
  • 33:36    Portico Quartet - Endless(Art in the Age of Automation)
  • 37:46    Kamasi Washington - Desire(Harmony Of Difference)
  • 42:07    Phronesis - Ok Chorale(The Behemoth)
  • 45:50    Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Maroon Dune(Simultonality)
  • 54:48    Dorothy Ashby - Pawky(Hip Harp/In A Minor Groove)
  • 51:55    end









No comments: